Behind the Neighborhood Organizing Institute is a fundamental tenet: Bring together grassroots leaders already hard at work strengthening under-resourced communities across Madison, and we all benefit.
Here’s some of what Cohort 3 is up to…
- using line dancing tobuild relationships among African American women
- creating a city-wide youth choir to engage young people in an area of strength
- hosting Know Your Rights workshops for middle schoolers
- mentoring a young person running martial arts classes in Darbo
- supporting incarcerated men preparing to return to the community
- nurturing Black Only Safe Spaces (BOSS) to empower black women
- raising eviction prevention funds for women facing homelessness
- bringing restorative justice to the Willy Street community and beyond
The LCEC and Goodman Community Center are excited to support such creative and talented leaders, and we’re grateful to everyone in the City of Madison for grant funds that make NOI possible.