The strength of our programming and events hinges on the exceptional commitment of our volunteers! We actively embrace the diversity of talents, skills and interests that each volunteer brings to the LCEC. Community members of all ages are encouraged to share their time with others!
Everyone has something special to offer and we welcome it all – bakers, handypeople, hair stylists, musicians, puppeteers, massage therapists, singers, phone callers, gardeners, organizers, cooks, window washers, photographers, party planners – and everyone else.
Join our volunteer team:
- Complete volunteer application and email it in to cristina@LCECmadison.org or drop it off at the Center
- Sign up with the Dane County TimeBank to purchase goods and services with your volunteer hours
- The LCEC volunteer coordinator will connect with you to set up a screening
- Attend a brief orientation – and start volunteering!
Have an interest that’s not covered in the immediate openings listed below? Call us, anyway! We hope to expand LCEC opportunities, activities, and events for the community by embracing volunteers’ interests and skills. Fill out an application and stop in to discuss additional ways to be involved!
Elementary Reading Buddy
Hours & Times: Tuesdays and/or Thursdays, 12:30-1:30pm
Duration: 1 hour, June - Aug
Description: Reading buddies will help K-2nd grade student improve their reading skills through reading, literacy games, and being a positive mentor. Buddies will be paired one-on-one with student on a weekly basis.
Qualifications: A successful buddy will be highly flexible, dependable, open-minded and eager to connect with diverse personalities. Previous experience working or volunteering in a similar capacity is preferred.
Ornamental Garden Volunteer
Hours & Times: Hours decided by the volunteer group. Aprox 1-2 hours per week.
Duration: June through September
Description: The Lussier Community Education Center (LCEC) is seeking a couple of experienced gardeners to care for a decorative garden in front of our Westside neighborhood community center. The volunteers will work with a small team to garden and weed the garden areas and herb planter boxes.
- Help water and weed 2 garden areas outside of Lussier Community Education Center
- Work with the garden team to take out garden at the end of the summer
- Water and maintain some herb planter boxes in children’s playground area
RADIO STATION MUSIC REVIEWER
Hours & Times: Flexible based on volunteer availability
Duration: Varies based on number of donated CDs
Description: Join the Lussier Community Education Center in creating the remarkable opportunity to support citizen voices, experiential education, and community and youth empowerment in Madison. Volunteer Music Reviewers will screen CD donations to ensure they meet FCC guidelines and upload any donated CDs to WWMV music library.
Hours & Times: Flexible- Volunteer will coordinate each recording with both station manager and program announcer
Duration: 2-3 hours per show/project. Shows are typically 25 or 50 minutes
Description: Join the Lussier Community Education Center in creating the remarkable opportunity to support citizen voices, experiential education, and community and youth empowerment in Madison. Engineer Volunteers will help record and edit shows for our new community radio station, WWMV-LP 95.5. Engineers will be responsible for running the soundboard, working with announcers to record content, and doing post edits.
Qualifications: Experience working with Audacity or Pro Tools, or the ability to use your own editing software such as Logic, Garage Band, Sound Forge, etc. Ability to work independently. Strong interpersonal skills.
VOLUNTEER RADIO ANNOUNCER
Hours & Times: An hour-long show could take 2-3 hours to coordinate, sometimes more, sometimes less
Duration: Varies by program
Description: Join the Lussier Community Education Center in creating the remarkable opportunity to support citizen voices, experiential education, and community and youth empowerment in Madison.
- Volunteer announcers will put together a show to air on our radio station that reflects our mission statement: building community by bringing people together the full richness of our community to share their gifts, talents, perspectives, and cultures.
- Create content that is in compliance with FCC rules.
- Make sure all music played in the show is owned by LCEC or the announcer playing it.
- Topics may include health, food, sports, art, comedy, storytelling, etc.
Qualifications: Strong Interpersonal skills. Flexible. Ability to work with the Radio Station Manager and/or Radio Station Interns. Attend the WWMV-LP radio training/orientation.