SHARE YOUR TALENTS
The strength of our programming and events hinges on the exceptional commitment of our volunteers! We actively embrace the diversity of talents, skills and interests that each volunteer brings to the LCEC. Community members of all ages are encouraged to share their time with others!
Everyone has something special to offer and we welcome it all – bakers, handypeople, hair stylists, musicians, puppeteers, massage therapists, singers, phone callers, gardeners, organizers, cooks, window washers, photographers, party planners – and everyone else.
Join our volunteer team:
- Complete volunteer application and email it in to [email protected] or drop it off at the Center
- Sign up with the Dane County TimeBank to purchase goods and services with your volunteer hours
- The LCEC volunteer coordinator will connect with you to set up a screening
- Attend a brief orientation – and start volunteering!
Have an interest that’s not covered in the immediate openings listed below? Call us, anyway! We hope to expand LCEC opportunities, activities, and events for the community by embracing volunteers’ interests and skills. Fill out an application and stop in to discuss additional ways to be involved!
CHILDCARE VOLUNTEER FOR FREE ADULT LITERACY CLASS
Hours & Times: Mondays, 5:30-7:30pm
Duration: June 19, 2017-Aug 21, 2017 (Except July 3)
Description: Lussier is partnering with Dane County Literacy Network to offer classes especially for parents this summer. We are looking for 2 adults or responsible teens to provide childcare for kids while their parents are in the class. Volunteers will supervise children in our elementary after school classroom. Help us make this free program happen for English Language Learners in our community!
SUMMER READING BUDDY
Hours & Times: Tuesdays, 12:30-1:30pm
Duration: June 20, 2017-Aug 10, 2017
Description: Do you love reading to kids? We are seeking adults or high school students who are interested in reading with K-2nd grade students participating in our free summer camp program. Volunteers will work one-on-one with 2 different students over the course of an hour. Volunteers should be available to attend on a weekly basis from June-Aug.
RADIO STATION MUSIC REVIEWER
Hours & Times: Flexible based on volunteer availability
Duration: Varies based on number of donated CDs
Description: Join the Lussier Community Education Center in creating the remarkable opportunity to support citizen voices, experiential education, and community and youth empowerment in Madison. Volunteer Music Reviewers will screen CD donations to ensure they meet FCC guidelines and upload any donated CDs to WWMV music library.
Hours & Times: Flexible- Volunteer will coordinate each recording with both station manager and program announcer
Duration: 2-3 hours per show/project. Shows are typically 25 or 50 minutes
Description: Join the Lussier Community Education Center in creating the remarkable opportunity to support citizen voices, experiential education, and community and youth empowerment in Madison. Engineer Volunteers will help record and edit shows for our new community radio station, WWMV-LP 95.5. Engineers will be responsible for running the soundboard, working with announcers to record content, and doing post edits.
Qualifications: Experience working with Audacity or Pro Tools, or the ability to use your own editing software such as Logic, Garage Band, Sound Forge, etc. Ability to work independently. Strong interpersonal skills.
VOLUNTEER RADIO ANNOUNCER
Hours & Times: An hour-long show could take 2-3 hours to coordinate, sometimes more, sometimes less
Duration: Varies by program
Join the Lussier Community Education Center in creating the remarkable opportunity to support citizen voices, experiential education, and community and youth empowerment in Madison.
- Volunteer announcers will put together a show to air on our radio station that reflects our mission statement: building community by bringing people together the full richness of our community to share their gifts, talents, perspectives, and cultures.
- Create content that is in compliance with FCC rules.
- Make sure all music played in the show is owned by LCEC or the announcer playing it.
- Topics may include health, food, sports, art, comedy, storytelling, etc.
Qualifications: Strong Interpersonal skills. Flexible. Ability to work with the Radio Station Manager and/or Radio Station Interns. Attend the WWMV-LP radio training/orientation.
LEAP To College Volunteer
Hours & Times: Thursdays, 3-5pm
Duration: 2 hours
LCEC seeks college students and recent grads for our LEAP 2 College after-school enrichment program. LEAP 2 College is a college enrichment program for economically and culturally diverse students rooted in partnership between Edgewood College and the Lussier Community Education Center. Students from the Lussier Community Education Center in grades 6-8 develop skills in leadership, education, arts, and play through exploration – the four components that make up the “LEAP” in LEAP 2 College.
- Volunteers build relationships with students, helping them to build confidence in themselves and going to college
- Volunteers will provide consistent and positive academic support and mentorship benefiting youth by increasing their networks of support
- Volunteers will engage with youth in recreation activities to encourage skill development, hobbies and extracurriculars
- 2017 Fall semester, volunteer sessions begin on October 5th and end December 7th
- Training and Orientation – at LCEC on September 28th at 3pm
- Middle School tutorial sessions:Thursday: 3:00 – 5:00 pm